Rugby | Jones not getting carried away

Brisbane – England rugby union coach Eddie
Jones said he wasn’t getting carried away despite his side recording their
first ever win over Australia in Brisbane on Saturday.

England flyhalf Owen Farrell scored 24
points as England beat the Wallabies 39-28 in a thrilling Test match to open
their three-Test series.

The 11-point win was the first ever by
England in Brisbane and came against an Australian side ranked number two in
the world.

“What we’ve done tonight is give
ourselves one more game in the series,” Jones said.

“We made history tonight, but that’s
not enough for us. It’s all about next week.”

The Wallabies scored four tries to three
but were second best for much of the game and were fortunate to get as close as
they did.

Farrell kicked six penalties and three
conversions in a near-faultless display in front of 48,700 fans at Brisbane’s
Suncorp Stadium.

England, who led 29-13 midway through the
second half, almost let the match slip as Australia came storming back to get
within four points at 32-28.

But they held firm and when replacement
winger Jack Nowell crossed in the 80th minute, the visitors were able to
celebrate taking a 1-0 lead in the three-match series for the Cook Cup.

A win looked far from likely after
Australia launched a ferocious attack in the opening few minutes, resulting in
tries to flanker Michael Hooper and fullback Israel Folau.

England could barely get their hands on the
ball and found themselves 10-0 down after only 10 minutes of play.

But the English finally got some possession
midway through the half and were able to tighten the play up and string some
phases together.

“We struggled in the first 10
minutes,” Jones admitted.

“Australia put a lot of pace on the
ball, which we don’t encounter in games in England.

“It took us a while to find the pace
of the game and once we did I thought, the next 45 minutes we played some good

Once England settled into the game they
were rewarded for their efforts with consecutive penalties to Farrell.

After the second and with the score at
10-6, England were lucky not to go further behind from the kick-off when Foley
sprinted 40 metres to score in the corner.

However, after asking for a replay, referee
Romain Poite ruled that Rory Arnold had obstructed Luther Burrell in the
lead-up and penalised the home side, a decision that left Australian coach
Michael Cheika shaking his head.

“It’s not obstruction, the (defender)
went to the wrong guy,” he said.

Cheika argued that Poite had asked whether
there was any reason why he couldn’t award the try.

“If it was ‘try or no try’, different
story, but when he says ‘is there any reason why I can’t award the try’ it has
to be clear.

“But anyway, that happens, you have to
go with the punches.”

England kicked deep from the penalty and
when the Wallabies infringed again at the breakdown, Farrell added the three
points to get to within a point of the Wallabies.

The English were right back in the contest
and they hit the lead after Folau threw a poor pass to nobody inside his 22.

Jonathan Joseph toed ahead and regathered
to cross out wide, Farrell’s conversion making it 16-10.

Foley closed the gap with a penalty but
Farrell kicked his fourth right on halftime to send the visitors into the break
six points clear.

They started the second half as they
finished the first, full of running against a flustered home side.

They were rewarded when Marland Yarde
scored following a superb break up the middle from outstanding flanker James
Haskell to make it 26-13 five minutes after the restart.

The English pack were dominating and
Australia were rocked when front-rower Scott Sio, who was under enormous
pressure from Dan Cole in the scrum, was yellow carded for persistently
bringing the scrum down.

A fifth Farrell penalty made it 29-13 but
the Wallabies hit back when they finally got some quick ball and some slick
backline work saw Hooper cross in the corner.

Farrell opened the gap with his sixth
penalty but with nine minutes to go the Wallabies were in again when Tevita
Kuridrani barged over.

A Foley penalty closed the gap to 32-28 but
England held firm for a famous victory.

Source link

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

We are the biggest all round sports news website, serving our readers with the best sports news global

For inquiries please email

Copyright © 2015 Sport World 360. All Rights Reserved.

To Top