Montreal – Lewis Hamilton was the fastest in the opening practice session for the Canadian Grand Prix on Friday, ahead of Mercedes team mate and championship leader Nico Rosberg.
Hamilton completed his fastest lap over the 4.36km road course in 1min14.755 seconds. Rosberg was 0.331 seconds slower.
The Mercedes pair were followed by Ferrari’s Sebastien Vettel, Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen.
Massa crashes in Montreal
Williams’ Felipe Massa hit a barrier in Turn 1 and ended his run early. Massa lost control entering turn one and smashed into barriers. He finished only seven laps, the fewest of any driver.
Rosberg and Hamilton arrived in Montreal 1-2 in the championship standings. Rosberg is first with 106 points but Hamilton closed the gap with a win at Monaco in the last race.
2016 Canadian Grand Prix: First practice times:
1. Lewis Hamilton (GBR) Mercedes-AMG 1min14.755
2. Nico Rosberg (GER) Mercedes-AMG 1min15.086
3. Sebastian Vettel (GER) Ferrari 1min15.243
4. Max Verstappen (NED) Red Bull 1min15.553
5. Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Ferrari 1min15.618
6. Valtteri Bottas (FIN) Williams 1min16.301
7. Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Force India 1min16.464
8. Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP) Toro Rosso 1min16.543
9. Sergio Perez (MEX) Force India 1min16.577
10. Fernando Alonso (ESP) McLaren-Honda 1min16.663
11. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS) Red Bull 1min16.734
12. Jenson Button (GBR) McLaren-Honda 1min16.788
13. Romain Grosjean (FRA) Haas 1min17.008
14. Felipe Massa (BRA) Williams 1min17.065
15. Daniil Kvyat (RUS) Toro Rosso 1min17.310
16. Esteban Gutierrez (MEX) Haas 1min17.319
17. Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber 1min17.855
18. Rio Haryanto (INA) Manor 1min18.103
19. Marcus Ericsson (SWE) Sauber 1min18.129
20. Kevin Magnussen (DEN) Renault 1min18.409
21. Pascal Wehrlein (GER) Manor 1min18.453
22. Jolyon Palmer (GBR) Renault 1min18.583